Mount Oval National Historic Site
At Grenadier Squaw Village
Pickaway County Historical Society
3901 Emerson Road
The Mount Oval Historic Site at Greedier Squaw Village
hosts public events during all seasons.
Contact the Pickaway County Historical Society for information and dates.
Mary Tolbert’s Prairie Home
In the beginning, many centuries after Hopewell and Adena roamed the verdant forests of the Siota Valley, the streams, knolls and flat lands surrounding Mount Oval became Shawnee country.
From Black Mountain to the north, River Siota to the west, and present day River Drive on the south, there existed a center of Shawnee culture and population known as Meemkekak – Great Shawnee Town.
Prairie flat lands, high-grounds and streams, from the north bend of Congo crick to the east turn of Sippo crick became home for the Pekowi band Shawnee.
Two hundred fifty feet west of Mount Oval House, near Mary Tolbert’s driveway on route 23, was Pekowi Intersection – a crossing where met four important 18th century Indian trails.
According to archeologists, the east-west trails, green on the 1775 era map seen here, connected Shawnee centers at the headwaters of river Muskingum and river Miami to the Scioto Trail – the territory’s principal north-south passageway, shown in blue.
It is at Pekowi Intersection that Indians, settlers, and goods moved between Sandusky Bay and the Alexandria settlement at the confluence of rivers Ohio and Siota. As well as goods, animals and families flowing to and from Meemkekak and the Shawnee settlements on the Miami and Muskingum.